Monday, May 24, 2010

Drop or not to drop...

En's mid year results were released today. Mum called me and spoke to me in a very solemn and serious tone. She told me en's grade had deteriorated and asked me to drop 2 of her activities so that she can concentrate more on her studies and not get tired out.

Is she really very stressed out with the activies? Let me see, she is taking ballet, badminton, golf and piano. Our weekends are spent ferrying her around for her lessons. That night, I had a chat with her to see if all these activities are really too much for her. It turned out she really wanted to drop piano. She enjoyed golf and she told ah ma that she wants to become a golf coach so that people will pay her a lot to learn golf fom her. She is taking part in competition for badminton next year so she does not want to stop it now. For ballet, she's quite neutral, doesn't hate it but also doesn't love it too. Surprisingly, she DISLIKES piano. Guess she is turned off by the daily practices. Unfortunately, that is the thing her dad will not allow her to discontinue. hope she will grow to love piano as she progresses in her piano grades. For me, I think she should stop ballet as En has difficulty doing a split. How can a ballerina fail to do a split? I don't think someone who cannot do a spilt can be a ballerina at all. My dear hubby disagreed, he feels that she is still young and with practice she should be able to do that soon. He decided to let her try for 1 more semester after her ballet exam.

YP is not gan jiong with en's grades at all. He thinks that it is pretty normal for her grades to fall as the syllabus is getting more difficult and she has an extra subject this year. We can't expect her to get all band 1s like when she is in p1 and p2.

I'm sandwiched between my hubby and my mum or rather I think both sides are right in their own way. Famous for his 'metal teeth', my mum can only say this to yp "She is your daughter. You have the final say..."

2 comments:

MomiJJ said...

I wondered if I will be in the same situation as u next time. MY hubby is not as hardworking as u. I have to do the coaching all the time. Life in spore is so stressful, the work, study, environment and event the weather is stressful.

Christine and Xavier's Mummy said...

Shirley: Actually I'm the lazy one :-P My hubby is the one coaching En En. It is indeed stressful but infact their stress actually comes from the parents as we have high expectations on them. As long as the kids enjoy what they are doing, it's ok except school work lah, hate it must also grill them. Poor parents and poor kids too...

About Me

A FTWM with 2 wonderful kids and a loving husband